Whether you have a small or medium-sized business (or even a large one) or post your content online as an influencer or artist, you need to stay on script. Do not worry. We don’t suggest you read from a sheet of paper or memorize lines. A script is more of a guide to what you are going to say and when. It helps you plan content and video stream. And, just like Hollywood greats, you should feel free to go off script once you get the general idea of your video.
If you want to prepare a sample video script or a template video script for your next filming session but don’t know where to start, stay with us. We’ll walk you through the basics and then you can let your creativity as a writer/director/cinematographer take over.
What is a video script?
A script is a document that describes what will happen in a video. It includes not only the photos you plan to take, but also the audio or dialogue that will accompany them. Think of a video script as a map for your video.
Why is this important?
Making a script helps you organize your ideas before you start filming. This is important because you’ll be shooting live, and while you can certainly fix mistakes, it’s best to start with as clean a take as possible. And, you’ll make sure you get the right message across because making a good script requires you to spend time clarifying your ideas.
But, beyond just making your video, creating a script helps you spark creativity. It’s an exercise that stimulates your thoughts and will help you put your best content on the page.
What should you ask yourself before writing a screenplay?
If you’re not sure where to start, try asking yourself the following key questions.
- Who will watch this video? Consider your target audience. If you’re creating video marketing, think about your customers. If you’re an influencer, ask yourself who your followers are and use them to figure out how you write a script for a YouTube video. If you write video games, think about what your players will experience and do some research on how to write a video game script. And, if you’re a musician and want to share your latest song with the world, then you’ll need to sketch out how to write a music video script that connects with your fans.
- Why are they going to watch it? Once you’ve established who your audience is, ask yourself what they hope to get out of this video. In other words: what’s the takeaway? If you do makeup tutorials, for example, what is that special skill that people come to in that video to watch you demonstrate?
- What is your message ? You need to plan your message in two ways: what you want to say and how you want to say it. Describe the information you want to convey to your audience and how you want them to feel when they hear it.
What elements should a video script include?
If this is your first time writing this type of text, you may need a guide on how to write a script for a short video. Start by identifying what to include, such as the following.
- Dialogue and voice-over text (with notes on how things should be said)
- Notes on decor and visual setup
- Audio notes
- Transition Information
How to write a video script in 5 steps
- Sketch out your ideas, then refine them.
- Start writing the dialogue for your screenplay or, if you’re more visual, start by taking notes on shots and transitions, then try adding the words.
- Make sure your script meets all timing and other visual constraints.
- Practice the first draft of your script and see how it feels.
- Make necessary edits and create subsequent drafts.
Tips for Writing an Entertaining Video Script
Yes, there is a secret recipe to getting a great script, and it includes the following ingredients.
- Connect with your viewers through a call to action (CTA).
- Make your video visually appealing.
How to make a video with Picsart
On the Web
1. In the Picsart Online Video Editor options, choose the specific editing feature you need. For illustrative purposes here, we’ll be using the Add text to videos editor.
2. Click on the To download button to choose your clip. Once downloaded, click on the Text the tool and choose the title type.
3. Select your preferred font, size, and style options. Type the text you want to appear on the clip.
4. When all changes are complete, click the Export button, select your settings and click Download to save to your device.
On the app
1. Open the Picsart mobile app and click the purple plus sign at the bottom of the screen to start a new project.
2. Choose the video you want to work with.
3. Once on the editing screen, use the tools in the menu under your video to edit your clip. You can apply effects with the Effects tool, add audio, crop the clip, change the shape and background, and add text (and animate it). When you’re done, click Apply in the upper right corner of the screen for your changes to take effect. All of these tools come with comprehensive options that let you get your video the way you want. For example, you can play with the volume on the audio or make it disappear. Or, you can transform your text in many ways like changing size, color, and shape.
4. Add more video clips or images by clicking the white plus sign in the right corner below your video.
5. When you’re happy with your edits, click the next arrow in the upper-right corner of the screen to save your video or share it directly to social media. From there, you will be able to choose the frames per second of your video and the resolution.
Create at the speed of culture
Picsart is a complete ecosystem of free content, powerful tools, and creator inspiration. With one billion downloads and over 150 million monthly active creators, Picsart is the largest creative platform in the world. Picsart has collaborated with major artists and brands like BLACKPINK, Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Jennifer Lopez, One Direction, Sanrio: Hello Kitty, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app or start editing on the web today to enhance your photos and videos with thousands of quick and easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers and shiny backgrounds. Unleash your creativity and go gold for premium benefits!