In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about Instagram carousel posts, including creative ways to create your own eye-catching posts with Instagram carousel templates. You will be increase your commitments in no time!
What is an Instagram carousel?
It happens to the best of us: you can’t choose just one photo to post. That’s what carousels are for. In a carousel post, you can add up to 10 photos in the classic feed style, swiping left to see each consecutive photo.
Carousels are a great post format option for brands and personal account users. Whether you want to share a photo from the weekend, do a roundup of memes, or need to share all the details of a news story and have lots of text on screencarousels are good options.
Instagram carousels vs single image posts
Not sure whether to post just one or share the entire main video? Carousels are often a more engaging post format than a single image, as viewers have to swipe to see all the photos and understand the whole story you’re trying to convey. As long as your content tells a story, people tend to like flicking through multiple images. So the next time you want to post ten photos of your dog or images of your latest product, don’t hold back. Just make sure the first photo in the series is eye-catching to encourage people to press next.
What are Instagram’s carousel image specs?
Social Image Sizes vary by platform. And ignoring the size and resolution requirements of the platform can result in stretched, distorted, and poorly cropped photos. So, use this guide before posting for best results.
Instagram carousel sizes:
Landscape: 1080 x 566 pixels or 1.91:1 aspect ratio
Portrait: 1080 x 1350 pixels or 4:5 format
Square: 1080 x 1080 pixels, or 1:1 aspect ratio
Video Carousel Specifications:
Duration: 3 to 60 seconds
Formats: MP4 and MOV
Maximum video size: 4 GB
How to Make a Carousel on Instagram
Ready to create your first Instagram carousel? Follow the tutorial below and you’ll be posting carousel image posts in no time.
1) Open the Instagram app and click on the plus sign in the top right menu. From the drop-down menu, choose Job.
2) Now it’s time to select your images. You will see an icon that looks like a stack of papers. Tap it to activate the carousel image selection.
3) Now your photos should have circles in the upper right corners that you can tap to select which photos will go into your carousel. Start tapping the photos you want to add. You can choose up to ten, and the app will count for you, showing the number of photos you have chosen with numbers in the circles of the corners of the selected photos. If you accidentally choose the wrong photo, tap it again to remove it from your selection.
4) When you are done selecting your photos, tap Next in the upper right corner of the screen.
5) Now make last minute edits to your photos by scrolling through your selection and using the filters menu at the bottom of the screen to apply quick effects or by clicking the icon in the lower left corner of your photo to access a range of editing tools. If you want to further edit your photos, we recommend using a creative platform such as picsart.
6) When finished, press Next in the upper right corner of the screen and add a relevant caption and hashtags before sharing your carousel on the app.
Ways to Use a Carousel on Instagram
The content type options for carousels are limitless. Whether you’re using carousels for digital marketing or sharing photos from your weekend getaway, here are some ideas for your next post.
- Photo dump: Post multiple photos from a certain moment, like a new store opening or behind the scenes of a photo shoot, or a fun weekend.
- Reveals: Launching a new product? Take photos of it from all angles, near and far, and share them with the world.
- Before and After: If you’re an interior designer or contractor, show your followers the amazing work you’ve done from start to finish with a carousel post that shows the transformation of a space.
- Tell a story: Carousels give Instagram users plenty of visual space, so think of each photo as a new Instagram slide in which to tell a story. Whether it’s your weekend, backstage at an event, or a movement that’s close to your heart, it’s all ripe for carousels.
How to Create an Instagram Carousel with Picsart
Get every image ready for publication before adding it to a carousel with our easy editing tools for Instagram. You can even use our ready-to-use layouts as a carousel template.
On the Web:
1) Open the Picsart web editorand of Design forChoose instagram. Then, from the context menu, select the type of post you want to publish. In this case, you’ll want Instagram’s square size.
2) Now it’s time to edit your content. Click on To download in the left toolbar and select a photo to edit.
Use the sliders in the toolbar above the image to adjust things like brightness, contrast, and shadows. We removed the background from our image by selecting Delete blood sugar.
3) You can further personalize your post by adding stickers, filters and text to add a call to action. Just make sure that the font you select is easily readable on the small screen of the Instagram app. In this tutorial, we are going to go one step further and change the background to create an eye-catching Instagram carousel. Click on Background on the left toolbar and select a fun background or download one of your own.
Voila – your product is now on a pedestal!
4) When you are happy with your edits, upload your photo using the Export button in the upper right corner of the screen.
On the mobile app:
1) Open the Picsart mobile app and click the purple plus sign (+) at the bottom of the screen to start a new project.
2) In this case, we are going to create a post to promote a new product, so we have chosen a fun background and will add our product image to it in the next steps. If you want to edit a standard photo, upload a photo from your camera roll by tapping Pictures.
3) Press Add a picture and upload your product photo. Then select Remove background and watch the old background disappear instantly, leaving only your product and the fun background you selected in Picsart. Reposition as needed and press Apply once you have finished.
If you are not editing a product photo, follow this step to use the tools in the Editor toolbar to apply Effects (fx), Text, Stickers, or use the Touching up tool to smooth wrinkles, remove blemishes and rekindle your photo. When you are done, press Apply in the upper right corner of the screen for your changes to take effect.
4) When you are happy with your changes, press download arrow in the top toolbar of the screen to save your image.
Create at the speed of culture
Picsart is a complete ecosystem of free content, powerful tools, and creator inspiration. With one billion downloads and over 150 million monthly active creators, Picsart is the largest creative platform in the world. Picsart has collaborated with major artists and brands like BLACKPINK, Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Jennifer Lopez, One Direction, Sanrio: Hello Kitty, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app or start editing on the web today to enhance your photos and videos with thousands of quick and easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers and shiny backgrounds. Unleash your creativity and go gold for premium benefits!