Why is it necessary to have an e-commerce site?
Of course, having a physical store has its charm. But, having an e-commerce business allows you to reach a much larger group of potential customers. Creating your own website with e-commerce functionality can help you increase your brand awareness by attracting potential customers searching for your product through popular search engines. It also opens up opportunities for you to integrate with other online marketing opportunities such as email marketing, social media ads, online customer reviews for social proof, and a streamlined checkout process.
To put it simply, you are missing out if you don’t have an online storefront.
Why is design important for your website?
As a business owner, you probably started because you had an idea for something you were passionate about enough to become a reality. This means you’ve spent a lot of time thinking about how your product will look, how it will packagingand its value to your customers.
This same logic applies to e-commerce website design. Your online storefront should represent your brand values. This can be achieved by leveraging visual elements consistent with your brand look, white space, bold colors, creative animations and best practices for website color schemes. By creating a space that helps potential customers experience your product in the best possible light, with easy-to-navigate categories and product descriptions, you improve their overall customer experience and your potential conversion rates.
What Makes a Good Ecommerce Website Design?
Surely you have had a pleasant online shopping experience recently. Think back to what it was. Maybe you liked that it felt like a luxury experience or you felt relieved that it was convenient. Try to remember which parts of this site you liked and why they made you feel that way. Here are some key things to consider for the best e-commerce website design experience:
- User-friendly navigation
- visual appeal
- Consistent design elements (typography, graphics, colors, etc.)
- High quality images (especially on product pages)
- Easy to read text
- On-brand feel
- Design that transfers well to web and mobile devices
- Easy payment process
- FAQ to easily decide which product is right for you
- Customer Reviews
- SEO optimization capabilities
- Product-specific landing pages with detailed product descriptions
What are the best platforms to create an e-commerce site?
There are many e-commerce platforms out there so you can easily create your own without any web design skills. But, before you start with one, try narrowing down the vendors based on your business needs. For example, if you are just starting out, search for the best eCommerce website builder for a small business. But if you have an existing page and want to optimize it, consider researching the best e-commerce platforms for easy payment integrations and more website templates.
Here are some of the best website hosting platforms with an e-commerce component:
- square space
What are some of the best eCommerce website designs?
Do you remember that e-commerce experience you loved? We also have a few favourites. Here are 5 examples of e-commerce sites to inspire your own web page.
- Amazon: It might not be the most amazing website, but Amazon is incredibly easy to use. Take a page from this mega-retailer’s playbook when it comes to user experience. Despite a seemingly endless number of products, the e-commerce website guides you to ones that are highly rated and match your search. It also has great filtering tools and a one-stop checkout process, making it easy to quickly find and buy what you need.
- Food 52: Come for the content and stay for the merchandise (or vice versa). This e-commerce site is an immersive experience for foodies. It provides relevant content like recipes and cooking tips while pairing your knowledge with beautiful, bespoke cooking tools to buy. This site provides a solid example of an organic content marketing approach to improving the shopping experience.
- Patagonia : This is another e-commerce site that goes beyond just trying to sell you something. Instead, the site puts you in an outdoor mindset with eye-catching text, crisp images of scenery and products, and article-style content for further reading. It almost seems like a bonus that you can buy a t-shirt while you’re on the homepage. Check out this site for a master class on how to keep your audience engaged.
- Lin Brook: Talk about visual curation! This top e-commerce website sticks to a brand-specific color scheme and font theme that is clean and inviting, much like you want your bedding to be. And this is surely not a mistake. Take inspiration from this brand’s eCommerce web design when trying to figure out how to express your own brand values in simple design elements.
- Volvo: This automaker’s website is so visually appealing that it almost makes you want to skip the test drive and just buy a car. What makes it one of the best eCommerce website designs is that although it features lots of vehicle models, all the graphics fit into a neat and organized theme. This is an atypical e-commerce site because it’s not like you can add a car to your cart at the end. Instead, the goal of this site is to make you want enough of a product to get you off the couch and find your nearest retailer using the “Store” feature.
Find inspiration for your website design with Picsart
While most eCommerce hosting platforms offer a variety of professional-looking templates that you can easily adapt to your brand, it’s best to come into the design experience with plenty of ideas and of inspiration.
And picsart is the perfect place to experiment. Start with a blank canvas and create a mood board for your website by adding graphics, colors and fonts, until you find the combination that works for you.
You can also take inspiration from Picsart templates. Browse our library of ready-made designs to try and find a look and feel that represents your brand, then take stock of the visuals that make you feel that way. And finally, once you’ve decided on the best e-commerce website hosting platform and template you’re going to use, you’re going to need a lot of images and product photography. All of this can be edited in the Picsart platform.
Create at the speed of culture
Picsart is a complete ecosystem of free content, powerful tools, and creator inspiration. With one billion downloads and over 150 million monthly active creators, Picsart is the largest creative platform in the world. Picsart has collaborated with major artists and brands like BLACKPINK, Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Lizzo, Ariana Grande, Jennifer Lopez, One Direction, Sanrio: Hello Kitty, Warner Bros. Entertainment, iHeartMedia, Condé Nast, and more. Download the app or start editing on the web today to enhance your photos and videos with thousands of quick and easy editing tools, trendy filters, fun stickers and shiny backgrounds. Unleash your creativity and go gold for premium benefits!